There is a trick to tossing a pancake. Loosen it from the base of the pan, hold the handle with two hands and tilt the pan away from you towards the ground, until the pancake starts to slide out of the pan.
With a flick of the wrist, quickly tip the pan back towards you and the pancake will do a spectacular flip and land on the other side. Put back on the heat and cook until golden brown.
Makes approx 6 pancakes so double the quantities if you have a hungry family.
50g plain flour
pinch of salt
- Flour & salt into bowl.
- Make well in middle and break in the egg.
- Whisk/beat the mixture letting the liquid take in the flour from the sides.
- Keep adding the milk gradually until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat a small amount of oil in frying pan.
- Put in enough batter to thinly coat the base of the pan.
- Cook quickly until brown on both sides and turn out on a tray.
- Put parchment between each pancake in the stack if not eating immediately.
- Classic lemon and sugar
- Icecream and chocolate sauce
- Soft berries and maple syrup
- Good quality jam and yoghurt