A simple display of edible flowers on a cake looks really pretty and is simple to do. Although they are crystallised in sugar, it is a small amount compared to that in marzipan or sugar paste flowers plus they involve far less work.
Make sure they are edible, though! We've used primroses for a lovely Spring/Easter look plus mint leaves, which taste really good done this way.
- Lightly beat the white of one egg with 1 teaspoonful of cold water.
- Paint both sides of the petals of your flowers and the leaves using a clean paintbrush that hasn't previously been used for anything toxic.
- Have a bowl of caster sugar (refined or unrefined) to hand and dip the flowers and leaves in.
- Coat as much of the surface front and back with sugar, take out and place face down on a tray lined with baking parchment.
- Leave to dry for 1-2 days.