Rilette is just the French name for a coarse pate and in this version avocado meets tarragon to produce a refreshing and delicious dish. It makes a fabulous starter teamed with tomato dressing (recipe elsewhere) and topped with some smoked salmon or vegetable crisps and served with crusty bread or crackers.
2 large ripe avocados
juice of 1 lemon
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons creme fraiche
pinch of sea salt
crushed black peooercorns (poivre mignonette)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Cut avocadoes in quarters, remove stones and peel off skin
- Chop into small dice and put in a bowl.
- Gently mash about half with a fork but leave some larger pieces to create texture.
- Add salt, papper and lemon juice and stir in immediately to prevent discolouration.
- Add chopped tarragon, spring onions and creme fraiche, mixing all in thoroughly.
- Taste and adjust seasoning and balance tastes as necessary.
- Flavours develop well if left chilled before serving. Cover closely with clingfilm to avoid oxidisation.