This makes quite a lot of dressing but it will kepp in the fridge for four or five days. It is very versatile and can be used as a salad dressing, drizzled over fish or chicken or as an accompaniment for avocado rilette. It will cheer up left over cooked pasta and, with the addition of chopped raw vegatables, makes a delicious lunch dish to take to work.
4 very ripe tomatoes chopped
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon kettle-hot water
1 tablespoon unrefined sugar
2 teaspoons tomato puree
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
- Using a hand blender or food processor, blend together all ingredients except for oil and seasoning.
- Trickle in the oil gradually whilst continuing to blend. The dressing will get thicker as it emulsifies.
- When thick enough stop adding the oil. If too thick add a little more hot water.
- To remove seeds and skin, pass through a fine sieve.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and make sure the balance is right. If too sour add a little more sugar, if too sweet, add a dash of vinegar