What a great way to celebrate our wonderful summer fruit - make it into our favourite pud, good old English Crumble! 120 Year 2s (6 & 7 year olds) in Henry Maynard Infant School, in Walthamstow all made one of these to take home, in a classroom, 30 at a time, no scales. So there's no excuse not to get crumbling in your kitchen...
Summer Berry Crumble
300g assorted summer berries e.g. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sugar (optional, depending on sweetness of fruit)
150g plain flour (6 rounded tablespoons)
50g porridge oats (2 tablespoons)
100g butter/dairy free margarine, chopped
75g caster sugar (3 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (optional)
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180Fan/ Gas mark 5.
- Put berries into an ovenproof dish, cutting larger ones so all a similar size.
- Make the crumble: Put dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the butter/margarine and rub into the flour, oats and sugar combination until the whole thing resembles breadcrumbs.
- Tip the crumble onto the berries and spread evenly, pressing the mixture down gently.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream/custard/double cream/crème fraiche