In view of the government requirement for all schools, cafes, restaurants, pub and leisure facilities to close in order to help limit the spread of the corona virus, all of our classes are suspended until further notice. At this point we anticipate that will be the end of June.
Anyone who has booked and paid for sessions during this period will be contacted individually and we will discuss options for rescheduling or a credit voucher. We are currently working on getting as much of the Autumn/Winter programme on the website - and for early 2021.
Our premises are now closed but the staff team can still be contacted by phone or email between 10am and 4pm Monday to Friday so, if you have any concerns or questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We also will be very happy to process bookings for future sessions or for vouchers, which will now have an 18 month ‘shelf life’.
Please check our website for any updates and our social media platforms, where we will remain active and keep you entertained!
CONTACT THE COOKERY SCHOOL (PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR PHONE NUMBER)
What a great way to celebrate our wonderful summer fruit - make it into our favourite pud, good old English Crumble! 120 Year 2s (6 & 7 year olds) in Henry Maynard Infant School, in Walthamstow all made one of these to take home, in a classroom, 30 at a time, no scales. So there's no excuse not to get crumbling in your kitchen...
Summer Berry Crumble
300g assorted summer berries e.g. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sugar (optional, depending on sweetness of fruit)
150g plain flour (6 rounded tablespoons)
50g porridge oats (2 tablespoons)
100g butter/dairy free margarine, chopped
75g caster sugar (3 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (optional)
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180Fan/ Gas mark 5.
- Put berries into an ovenproof dish, cutting larger ones so all a similar size.
- Make the crumble: Put dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the butter/margarine and rub into the flour, oats and sugar combination until the whole thing resembles breadcrumbs.
- Tip the crumble onto the berries and spread evenly, pressing the mixture down gently.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream/custard/double cream/crème fraiche