OPENING again 18th June
Smaller numbers will allow for social distancing, hand sanitising stations will be available on entry plus we have the usual access and attention to hand washing. Face masks will be available.
Please check our website for new dates + Autumn/Winter programme.
Emails and phone calls are being monitored if you want to get in touch.
CONTACT THE COOKERY SCHOOL (PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR PHONE NUMBER)
Bake Off biscuit week was full of shortbread so here are our tips for creating your own special version. Here we share our tips and techniques so that you can be Star Baker in your own home!
Good news for GLUTEN FREE.
Follow the same formula but use Doves Farm Gluten Free Plain flour and ignore the instruction that says DON'T OVERWORK. Work it well, as there is no gluten so it won't make your shortbread hard and tough.
There are three basic ingredients and they are in the ration of 1:2:3. This means that you don't need a recipe - you just choose how much you need and start
1 part caster sugar (e.g. 50g)
2 parts softened salted butter (e.g.100g)
3 parts plain flour (e.g. 150g)
- Preheat oven to 160C/Gas 3
- With a wooden spoon, cream together butter and sugar until incorporated.
- Add flour and mix together.
- There will be a point at which it will be easier to abandon the wooden spoon and start to bring all together with your hands. DO NOT OVERWORK your dough at this stage as you will actvate the gluten in the flour too much and make your shortbread tough.
- If you want individual biscuits, roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface and cut out shapes.
- Place the shapes on a lined baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 10 - 12 minutes (depending on thickness).
- Take out of the oven when they just start to colour round the edges.
- Leave for a few minutes then lift off the baking tray and onto a wire cooling rack.
- If you want shortbread fingers then press the dough into a lined or greased baking tray until the same thickness all over. This will take longer to cook as it will be thicker than the rolled out biscuits so leave for 15 - 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and leave to cool for five minutes before making cuts in the shortbread to the size you want the fingers to be. leave in the tin until completel cooled before lifting out
- To make your shortbread 'shorter' try take out some of the flour (in above quantities replace 25 g of flour) with either cornflour or semolina.
- Brush top of biscuits with egg white and sprinkle with sugar before baking.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the biscuits, once they have been baked and have cooled.
- Add ground spices to your flour e.g. cinnamon, mixed spice, crushed cardamom seeds, ginger etc.
- Add a favourite ingredient(s) to the dough e.g. roughly chopped glace or sour cherries, pistachios, walnuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips etc. Don't use too many combinations - think about what go together well.
Vaughan's Cookery School favourite flavour for September:
To the above amounts add:
1 teaspoon ground ginger to flour
50g chopped crystallised or stem ginger