Marie Lennon from BBC Wiltshire visited Vaughan's Cookery School following the tips she called 'Fake Off', helping listeners to find ways of producing some excellent baked items without all the hassle and effort that contestents have to go through on Great British Bake Off! We made these quick and easy mince pies that anyone can rustle up quickly, whether a potential GBBO candidate or a Baking Beginner.
To make 12 - 18 you will need:
1 packet filo pastry
approximately 50mls oil or 50gs melted butter for brushing pastry
1 jar mincemeat
Anything to 'cheer up' the mincemeat and make it more luxurious: e.g. favourite liqueur, flaked almonds or chopped nuts, dried cranberries, grated apple, grated orange or lemon zest etc.
1 tart or muffin baking tray
- Preheat oven 190C, Gas 5
- Tip mincemeat into a bowl and add a selection of extra ingredients to 'zizz' it up. Finish with about 2 tablespoons of your chosen alcohol or orange/lemon/clementine juice if you want it to be non-alcoholic.
- Remove pastry from the box, and cut the sheets into squares 5x5cm.
- Take a square and brush it with oil or melted butter.
- Place in the muffin/tart tray, pressing it down in the centre.
- Add another two oiled/buttered squares on top, arranged at angles to make a star.
- Repeat with the remaining squares until 12 are complete.
- Fill with a spoonful of your special mincemeat
- Bake for 5-10 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Take take out of muffin/tart tray carefully and leave to cool.
- Before serving, dust lightly with icing sugar.