The latest 'run' on items in the supermarkets during the pandemic seems to be eggs, so we thought that we should share this great recipe that Vaughan's Kitchen uses to make chocolate cake for their events, if they know that there are going to be vegans or people with an egg allergy attending. It make a light and moist chocolate sponge.
The acidity of the orange juice reacts with the alkaline baking powder to provide the 'lift'. Make it and bake it, don't leave it standing around or the magic will disappear! The fudge topping is optional, as it is delicious with just icing sugar sprinkled on top.
300g self raising flour
1 level tablespoon baking powder
40g cocoa powder
250g caster sugar
300mls orange juice
200mls sunflower/rapeseed oil
Grated zest of 1 orange
50g butter or vegetable spread if making vegan or dairy free
1 tablespoon orange juice
225g icing sugar sifted
1tablespoon cocoa powder sifted
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/160Fan/Gas 4
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin or 7" cake tin.
- Sift flour, baking and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add sugar and mix well
- Make a well in the centre and pour in orange juice, oil and grated orange zest.
- Incorporate dry ingredients into the wet and beat together until a smooth batter.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake in oven for approximately 40 minutes or until set in the centre.
- Melt butter/spread in saucepan with ornage juice.
- Take off heat
- Stir in sifted icing sugar and cocoa powder and mix together.
- Pour on to cake and leave to set.